Amato A. DeLuca
Location : Providence, RI
Amato DeLuca has practiced law for more than three decades, focusing his work in the areas of Medical Negligence, Catastrophic Injury, and Product Liability.
Amato earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Bridgeport, then served in the U.S. Army for two years before earning his Juris Doctorate at Suffolk University. Aware of the importance of giving back to the community, Amato volunteered his time doing civil rights work for the ACLU after graduating from law school. In 1995, he established the law firm of DeLuca & Weizenbaum, Ltd., with Miriam Weizenbaum. The firm then changed its name to DeLuca & Associates, Ltd. in 2020.
His professional memberships include Federal Bar Association (Vice-President, 1982-1983, President Elect, 1983, and President, 1984-1985, National Delegate, 1985-1997, Rhode Island Chapter) and American Bar Associations; The Association of Trial Lawyers of America (Vice-President, Counsel of President, 1993-1994; Board of Governors, 1995—); Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association (Member, Board of Governors, 1986—; Vice-President, 1988-1990; President Elect, 1990-1992; President, 1992-1994); American Inns of Court (Rhode Island Chapter President, 1994-1995); American Board of Trial Advocacy (Vice-President, 1994—); Fellow; Rhode Island Bar Foundation Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy; Best Lawyers in America, 2005-present; International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
Amato has published and lectured extensively in his field of practice. His authorships include, HMO: Professional Liability-Reporter 1995, ATLA-HMO, 1995; and Essentials of Civil Litigation, ATLA 1996. Among his notable lecture presentations are: Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association: Proof of Damages, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury and Rhode Island Rules of Civil Procedure; Mississippi Trial Lawyers Association: Trial Preparation; Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association: Winning with the Masters; Rhode Island Bar Association: Torts and Insurance, Rhode Island Rules of Civil Procedure; The Association of Trial Lawyers of America: Medical Malpractice and HMO's, Use of Focus Groups in Litigation, Essentials of Civil Litigation, Overcoming Juror Bias; Countering Negative Juror Perceptions and Beliefs; American Association for Justice: Juror Psychodynamics.
Amato DeLuca is admitted to practice law in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. He is also admitted to the U.S. District Court, Districts of Rhode Island and Massachusetts, the U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Attorney DeLuca was recently featured on the New England SuperLawyers Magazine.
- Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1973
- University of Bridgeport, Bridgeport, Connecticut
- B.A. - 1968
Classes & Seminars
- Lecturer, Proof of Damages, Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury and Rhode Island Rules of Civil Procedure, Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association
- Lecturer, Trial Preparation, Mississippi Trial Lawyers Association
- Lecturer, Torts and Insurance, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Lecturer, Rhode Island Rules of Civil Procedure, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Lecturer, Medical Malpractice and HMO's, Use of Focus Group in Litigation, Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Volunteer, Civil Rights work, ACLU
- U.S. Army
- Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association, President, 1992 to 1994
- Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association, President Elect, 1990 to 1992
- American Association for Justice, Vice President, Counsel of President, 1993 to 1994
- American Association for Justice, Member, Board of Governors, 1995 to Present
- American Inns of Court, Rhode Island Chapter, President, 1994 to 1995
- American Board of Trial Advocacy, Vice President, 1994 to Present
- Federal Bar Association, Rhode Island Chapter, President, 1984 to 1985
- Federal Bar Association, Rhode Island Chapter, President Elect, 1983 to 1984
- Federal Bar Association, Rhode Island Chapter, Vice President, 1982 to 1983
- American Bar Association, Member
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2006 to Present
Certified Legal Specialties
- Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Advocacy
- Medical Negligence
- Catastrophic Injury
- Product Liability
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Best Lawyers in America, 2005-2021